Metal Building Foundations
So you’re thinking about getting your very own custom metal building, and you’re wondering what kind of foundation your metal building will need. The good news is you’ve come to the right place – Metal Barn Central is here to help answer all your questions!
One common misconception around metal buildings and other steel structures is that they require either a concrete or asphalt installation base. Not true! There are certainly some advantages to choosing to pour a hard slab for your building’s foundation, but whether you go that route is completely up to you. The only essential requirement is that your metal building be installed on a level, cleared surface – our installers can anchor your building into concrete, asphalt, gravel, or even plain ground, as long as it’s level and dry enough!
Foundation Base Options and Their Corresponding Anchors
Let’s take a look at each of the four building options, and the anchors we use to secure your building in each of these surfaces:
- Ground Base If you’re using your metal cover or building as a horse barn, backyard shed, or lawn and garden storage building, a ground base may really be all that you need. The other obvious advantage to installing over level ground is saving the cost of having to bring in rock or having a hard surface paved. For ground installations, we’ll typically secure your building with either rebar anchors or auger anchors (also known as mobile home anchors).
- Gravel Base Gravel is a simple base you can use for your building that’s also relatively inexpensive. Gravel drains much better than soil, and if it shifts over time with use, gravel is also fairly easy to re-level. Gravel is a popular choice for carport foundations. If you have a gravel foundation, we’ll typically use rebar anchors to secure your building.
- Asphalt Base An asphalt foundation is a good choice if you live an area that is prone to heavy winds or rain. An asphalt foundation won’t wash away like gravel or soil, and asphalt provides a much more secure foundation for your building. If you pour an asphalt foundation for your building, we’ll secure it with asphalt anchors that are specially designed to hold fast inside asphalt’s unique composition.
- Concrete Base A concrete foundation is really the gold standard for any building, and that includes metal buildings as well. You can depend on a concrete foundation to keep the contents of your building high-and-dry, and it’s also the strongest, most secure base option. When installing on a base of concrete, our team of professionals will use specially-designed concrete expansion anchors to secure your building’s base rails.
In some cases, we can also install directly on a wooden, non-floating dock or deck. For example, some of our customers use their metal carport or other structure to shelter their boat or other watercraft. If you’re interested in having your building installed on a wooden dock or deck, just reach out to one of our knowledgeable building specialists, and we can go over all the necessary details.
Preparing Your Site for Installation
One nice benefit of doing business with Metal Barn Central is the fact that we INCLUDE delivery and installation of your custom steel structure with purchase! We’ll deliver all the materials to your site, we’ll put up your building for you, and we’ll secure all the anchors! You won’t have to worry about any of that, we’ll take care of it!
However, there are just a few things you will need to do to help prepare your site for installation ahead of time:
- Obtain any necessary building permits. Depending on where you live or where you intend to have your metal building installed, certain permitting may be required in your area. It is your responsibility to obtain any necessary permits. Just reach out to your local city and/or county authorities to see what you may need.
- Clear the site. This doesn’t just include clearing any vegetation or debris that’s on the intended installation site itself. You’ll also need to remove vegetation or debris in close proximity to the site, so that our crew will have easy access and will have room to move when installing your building.
- Make sure the area is level. It’s very important that you ensure your site is level before we arrive to install. We’ll give you an easy step-by-step guide to follow for site leveling when you place your order, and we can help answer any questions you may have as well. PLEASE NOTE that Metal Barn Central doesn’t provide any groundwork or site leveling services!
- Notify us about your site surface material ahead of time. When you place your order, make sure you let us know what type of foundation you’ll be using for your metal building, so we can be sure to include the right type of anchors to use for your installation.
Final Foundation Considerations
If you’re still not sure which type of foundation you need, we’ll glad to help you think through it. When you reach out to us, one of our building experts will take the time to listen to your needs and how you intend to use your building. Some things you’ll want to keep in mind include the type of soil in your area, your typical weather and climate conditions, the size of your building and installation site, what site preparations may be required, and what type of permitting you may need in your area. We serve nearly all of the continental United States, and we’re very familiar with nearly every region of the country and what it takes to install a building in your location.
Why Metal Barn Central Is Your Clear Choice for a Steel Structure
We know that purchasing a steel structure can be a significant investment, and you want to make sure you’re getting the right building, done the right way, AND at a price you can afford. We can help you with all of that! In fact, our team is the best in the custom metal building business!
Metal Barn Central provides the best in metal structures, and we’re here to help you get the metal building you need! Check us out online or give us a call at (980) 321-9898, and experience the Metal Barn Central difference for yourself!